When it comes to treating addiction, there are many treatment options. Some of the most successful are those that use a holistic approach to treat the condition. Holistic addiction treatment goes beyond just the physical and psychological aspects of addiction. Instead, it treats the person as a whole, addressing all the issues that may hinder their ability to stay sober.
The holistic approach focuses on helping the person find balance and harmony in all parts of life and not just combating addiction and the issues directly related to addiction. Holistic therapies and interventions are utilized throughout recovery, from the initial detoxification process through therapeutic choices to aftercare when rehab is over.
To learn more about holistic recovery, reach out to Michael’s House at 760.548.4032, and we can help you better understand how our holistic addiction treatment can help you or a loved one.
Understanding the Holistic Approach
Many studies have demonstrated that holistic approaches to treating alcohol addiction are more successful long-term than non-holistic approaches, but what exactly does a holistic treatment plan involve? Every treatment program can be different, and it’s important to understand what a specific program means by a holistic approach.
However, some key features that you’ll typically find in an addiction recovery program that prioritizes holistic care include the following:
- Patients and therapists working together to understand and recognize the triggers for drinking episodes
- Patients coming to an understanding of the events leading up to their addiction
- The use of visualization techniques, meditation, and other natural aids to deal with alcohol cravings
- Discovering other ways of coping with stress than alcohol use
- Developing a detailed plan for staying sober after recovery is complete
A holistic recovery can offer patients the skills and knowledge they need to be successful in their recovery. It also helps them find a sense of balance while healing spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically. This type of recovery is about more than just abstaining from drugs or alcohol—it’s about finding peace within oneself.
How Can Holistic Addiction Recovery Help?
While most recovery centers focus on targeting some of the possible causes of addiction, a holistic approach looks at the big picture. It considers anything and everything that could have contributed to the development of addiction.
So, in addition to standard counseling and therapy, a holistic recovery program might seek to find any metabolic disorders, poor nutrition habits, or neurotransmitter problems that could have led to addiction or contributed to cravings that may trigger a relapse.
Holistic treatment also looks at where and how a person lives and seeks to encourage environmental changes that could contribute to recovery. Unique methods for facilitating recovery may also be advised, such as getting adequate exercise or spending more time in the great outdoors connecting with nature.
The Spiritual Side of Holistic Addiction Treatment
Most people know that holistic recovery approaches focus, at least somewhat, on fostering positive spiritual connections. Usually, no one religion is emphasized. It’s simply a matter of finding and connecting with something spiritual.
People have different goals, such as self-discovery or improving relationships. Often, there is an emphasis on forgiving oneself for the addiction and any negative behaviors related to addiction.
Benefits of Holistic Addiction Treatment
Holistic addiction treatment provides numerous benefits that can contribute to a more balanced lifestyle. It goes beyond merely addressing the symptoms of addiction but instead targets the root cause of the issue, making it an effective solution to long-term recovery.
Here are some key benefits:
- Whole-person approach – Holistic recovery treats the whole person, including their spiritual and emotional well-being.
- Personal growth – Fosters personal growth and self-awareness. It helps individuals understand their addiction triggers and develop coping mechanisms.
- Stress management – Techniques such as yoga, meditation, and mindfulness are often incorporated into holistic addiction treatment, helping individuals manage stress effectively.
- Improved physical health – Natural therapies like acupuncture, nutrition counseling, and physical activities can improve physical health and well-being.
- Spiritual connection – Holistic recovery often involves spiritual practices that can enhance inner peace and purpose.
In essence, holistic addiction treatment may provide a comprehensive path to recovery, empowering individuals to lead fulfilling lives free from addiction.
Learn More About Holistic Addiction Treatment and Recovery at Michael’s House
Our patients receive personalized medical and psychotherapeutic treatments at Michael’s House. Holistic care is a big part of our underlying philosophy of treatment. Contact us today at 760.548.4032 to learn more about how that can manifest in the everyday experience of your loved one in alcohol rehab here at Michael’s House.