Dealing with addiction is hard enough, but it can feel like you’re constantly fighting a losing battle while also struggling with anger issues. The good news is that there are treatment programs available that can help you learn to manage your anger in a healthy way and give you the tools you need to overcome your addiction.
Michael’s House offers a dual diagnosis treatment program that trained professionals can customize to provide patients with anger management and addiction treatment in Palm Springs. A program like this helps patients heal their addiction and any underlying mental health condition causing severe anger issues that disrupt their life as addiction does. Call 760.548.4032 to learn more about anger management and addiction counseling and how a dual diagnosis treatment program can help you overcome a case of co-occurring disorders.
What You Need to Know About Anger Management
Understanding that anger issues are a normal part of life is crucial. However, suppose you experience severe anger issues. In that case, it could signify that you’re struggling with a mental health disorder—such as bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder—and can benefit from anger management.
If you have a mental health disorder and are struggling with anger issues, it’s essential to seek help. A professional counselor or therapist specializing in anger management can help you learn to manage your anger in a healthy way and deal with any underlying mental health conditions causing severe anger problems. Anger management is a process that helps you:
- Understand your anger triggers
- Develop coping mechanisms for dealing with anger
- Learn how to communicate effectively when you’re feeling angry
It’s important to note that anger management does not mean suppressing your anger or trying to bottle it up. Instead, it’s about learning how to express your anger in a healthy way.
When someone struggles with addiction and a mental health disorder that causes severe anger issues, they may receive a dual diagnosis. Having a dual diagnosis can make treating both conditions more difficult because they often feed off each other. For example, someone who is struggling with alcoholism may turn to alcohol as a way to self-medicate when they’re feeling angry. Or, someone abusing drugs may become violent when they’re under the influence.
What You Should Know About Dual Diagnosis Treatment
Dual diagnosis treatment is designed specifically for people struggling with addiction and another mental health disorder. Dual diagnosis treatment programs often include:
- Detox – The first step in treatment is detox, during which patients rid their bodies of toxins and addictive substances. Detox can be challenging, and some patients may experience withdrawal symptoms.
- Counseling and therapy – Psychotherapy is crucial for helping patients understand their anger triggers and develop healthy coping mechanisms.
- Group therapy – Group therapy provides patients with support from other people struggling with similar issues.
- Medication – In some cases, patients may be prescribed medication to help them manage their mental health disorder and any underlying symptoms that cause severe anger problems.
The goal of dual diagnosis treatment is to address both conditions simultaneously to provide the most comprehensive care possible.
Benefits of Dual Diagnosis Treatment That Includes Anger Management and Addiction Therapy
The benefits of dual diagnosis treatment that includes anger management and addiction therapy include the following:
- Teaches patients how to deal with triggers and cravings
- Reduces the risk of relapse
- Addresses any underlying mental health conditions that may be causing severe anger problems
- Provides comprehensive care for both addiction and mental health disorders
- Helps patients develop healthy coping mechanisms for dealing with anger
However, the primary benefit of any dual diagnosis treatment program is that it offers patients the best chance at long-term recovery. If you or someone you love is struggling with addiction and severe anger issues, don’t wait to get help.
Find Anger Management and Addiction Treatment in Palm Springs at Michael's House
If you’re struggling with addiction and anger management, know that you’re not alone, and help is available. Michael’s House offers dual diagnosis treatment that trained professionals can customize to include anger management and addiction therapy for patients that need this combination of interventions to heal. To learn more about anger management and addiction counseling, contact Michael’s House today at 760.548.4032.