You’re not alone if you or a loved one is struggling with co-occurring schizoaffective disorder and addiction. Millions of Americans suffer from mental health disorders and substance use disorders (SUDs), and many struggle with both simultaneously. Fortunately, there is help available.
Michael’s House offers a dual diagnosis treatment program that can address mental health and addiction issues. In particular, the staff at Michael’s House can customize this program to provide simultaneously schizoaffective disorder and addiction treatment in Palm Springs to patients who need it. Call 760.548.4032 to learn more about the dual diagnosis treatment program at Michael’s House, which can provide schizoaffective disorder and addiction counseling at the same time.
What You Should Know About Schizoaffective Disorder
Schizoaffective disorder is a mental illness that causes symptoms of both schizophrenia and a mood disorder—either depression or bipolar disorder. These symptoms can include:
- Changes in mood and behavior
- Disorganized speech
Schizoaffective disorder usually begins in early adulthood, though it can sometimes develop in childhood or adolescence.
When schizoaffective disorder and addiction co-occur, it’s a dual diagnosis. Cases like this are relatively common. In fact, about half of all people struggling with a mental health disorder also struggle with an SUD. Unfortunately, a dual diagnosis case can lead to severe consequences like job loss, financial instability, homelessness, and even death when left untreated.
Benefits of Dual Diagnosis Treatment for Schizoaffective Disorder and Addiction
There are many benefits of dual diagnosis treatment for schizoaffective disorder and addiction, including the following:
- Customized care – Dual diagnosis treatment programs are designed to meet each patient’s unique needs.
- Improved mental health – Dual diagnosis treatment that includes schizoaffective disorder and addiction therapy can help reduce symptoms of both conditions and improve overall mental health.
- Improved physical health – Addressing both disorders can also improve physical health since untreated mental health disorders can lead to chronic medical problems like heart disease, diabetes, and obesity.
- Improved social functioning – Schizoaffective disorder and addiction can make it challenging to maintain relationships and function at work or school. Dual diagnosis treatment can help improve social functioning through family and group therapy.
- Reduced risk of relapse – Addressing both disorders can reduce the risk of relapse since treating only one condition can increase the likelihood of relapse in the other.
However, the primary benefit of any dual diagnosis treatment program is that it provides patients with a more robust support system than they would have otherwise. In dual diagnosis treatment, patients interact with professionals, peers, and family members in a schizoaffective disorder and addiction counseling setting. Because both of their co-occurring disorders are being treated, everyone in their possible support system is aware of their unique struggles and can more easily understand their challenges and be there for them.
Find Schizoaffective Disorder and Addiction Treatment in Palm Springs at Michael's House
If you or your loved one is ready to get help for co-occurring schizoaffective disorder and addiction, the staff at Michael’s House is here for you. Michael’s House offers comprehensive dual diagnosis treatment programs that can be customized to provide schizoaffective disorder and addiction treatment in Palm Springs. A program like this can help you or your loved one achieve lasting sobriety and improve overall mental health.
Contact Michael’s House today at 760.548.4032 to learn more about schizoaffective disorder and addiction therapy and how a dual diagnosis treatment program can help you or your loved one achieve lasting recovery.