The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) estimates that over 20 million people in the United States suffer from a substance use disorder (SUD). Of those 20 million, only about 10% receive addiction treatment. There are various reasons why people don’t seek help for their addiction, but one of the main reasons is the lack of access to care. In Riverside, California, there is a great need for accessible addiction treatment.
Addiction is a disease that affects not only the person struggling with it but also their families and loved ones. It takes a toll on relationships, careers, and finances. Untreated addiction can lead to homelessness, job loss, and even death. That’s why it’s so important that people struggling with addiction have access to residential rehab for Riverside and other addiction treatment options when needed. Michael’s House is a rehab facility that provides residential treatment for Riverside and other locations throughout California. Call 760.548.4032 to learn more about Riverside residential addiction treatment options and programs Michael’s House offers in other areas we serve.
Why Riverside Needs Accessible Addiction Treatment
Riverside is located in Southern California and has a population of over 3 million people. The city has been dramatically affected by the opioid epidemic sweeping the nation. In 2017, there were 459 overdose deaths in Riverside County. That’s an increase of almost 60% from 2016.
Riverside also has a large homeless population. In 2017, there were over 2200 homeless people living in Riverside County. Many of them are struggling with addiction and mental illness. They don’t have access to stable housing or healthcare, making it difficult to get treatment for their addiction.
What You Should Know About Residential Treatment for Addiction
Residential addiction treatment is when someone struggling with addiction lives at a facility while they receive treatment. Often, residential rehab includes:
- Detox – The first step in addiction treatment is to rid the body of drugs and alcohol. This can be difficult and uncomfortable, so it’s essential to do it under medical supervision.
- Medication-assisted treatment – For some patients struggling with addiction, rehab specialists can use medication to help manage their withdrawal symptoms and cravings.
- Individual therapy – Patients meet one-on-one with a therapist to address the underlying causes of addiction and develop healthy coping mechanisms.
- Group therapy – Patients attend group therapy sessions to share experiences with others and learn from their stories.
- Family therapy – Addiction doesn’t just affect the person struggling with it. It affects their whole family. Family therapy sessions help heal the relationships damaged by addiction.
- Aftercare planning – Once patients complete treatment, they work with a case manager to develop a plan for continuing recovery. This may include attending 12-step meetings, continued individual therapy, and outpatient treatment.
Residential treatment is often recommended for people who have been struggling with addiction for a long time or have relapsed after trying other forms of addiction treatment like outpatient care or 12-step programs. It can also be recommended for people with co-occurring mental health disorders like depression or anxiety. However, patients must ensure they’re receiving dual diagnosis treatment in cases like this.
In general, residential addiction treatment allows patients to focus on recovery without distractions or triggers from everyday life.
Find Residential Treatment for Riverside at Michael's House
Michael’s House offers residential rehab for Riverside residents struggling with addiction and other mental health disorders. The staff at Michael’s House provides a variety of evidence-based therapies like cognitive behavioral therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, recreation therapy, and experiential therapy. The goal is to help patients heal physically, mentally, and spiritually so they can live happy and fulfilling lives in recovery.
If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction in Riverside, California, please reach out to Michael’s House today. Call 760.548.4032 and ask about the Riverside residential addiction treatment program.